Want more conversions? Don’t fix your website!
At least not ONLY your website.⠀⠀
OK, let me explain:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
I recently spoke with 2 brilliant ladies who own a fashion boutique. For the respect of their privacy I won’t use their real names, so let’s call them Kate and Anna, okay?
So Kate & Anna have a physical store and it’s doing GREAT, but they wanted to scale their business so they started selling online using Shopify.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
They wanted to expand beyond their local area, attract new customers and convert those who are loyal to start shopping through the site too.
The thing is…their conversion rate on their website is super LOW. Their Shopify website is barely profitable. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Over the last 2 years they tried everything to fix it: spent thousands on website designers, photography and copywriting, hired Facebook Ads specialist to bring more traffic to the site (to get more orders) …
…but they actually LOST money because none of it helped.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Frustrated and simply TIRED of this whole situation they started looking for a website designer (again) to fix the conversion issue so they can finally start making profit. If it didn’t help this time, they were ready to quit (can you blame them?)⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
After doing some research, they spoke to a few design studios before us and everyone told them their website is beautiful and everything is FINE.
Some of those people told them they can re-design their website *if Kate & Anna wanted to* (what?!).
“How can our website be FINE if it loses money?!” – they wondered.
Kate & Anna felt the disconnection in their brand and they KNEW something’s wrong but NOBODY could help them pinpoint that or lead them to a solution. Can you relate?
When we jumped on the Discovery Call, I knew something was OFF after only a few questions – those were reeeeaaaallly good questions for the record.
So here’s what we discovered in only 30 minutes:
- The experience they give to their customers in their local store (the very thing their customers LOVE) is NOWHERE to be seen on their site.
In their local shop their customers get to meet Kate & Anna, talk with them, get advice and help to choose the right clothes for them. They are greeted as soon as they come in, get personal attention and feel SEEN and important.
On the website they don’t get ANY of that and don’t even see Kate & Anna’s faces at all. They don’t get personalized product recommendations, they don’t get asked questions, they don’t get any help or inspiration…they feel invisible.
- In their local shop, their customers get to meet Kate & Anna and talk to them. They LOVE their personalities. Those ladies are smart, funny and witty and their customers adore that. Many of their customers became their dear friends.
On their site, you can’t find that anywhere. Their copywriting is not even close to the way they normally speak, so their customers cannot resonate and connect with that.
- The majority of Kate & Anna’s customers are women between 35-55 years old who may feel a little insecure with their bodies. They often need support and personal attention to help them SEE themselves looking good in clothes from the store (don’t we all sometimes?)
On the website though, the ONLY MODEL on all of their product photography is a 21-year-old girl who has a great figure and looks good in literally everything she puts on.
Of course, their ideal customers CAN’T resonate with that. They think to themselves: “I would never look as good in that dress as she does” and they leave the site before even considering buying anything.
Kate & Anna don’t have the strategy to inject personal attention and nurturing to the website so that people who land on the site could feel supported and inspired.
Their beautiful photography doesn’t resonate with their ideal client. It actually magnifies their insecurities and doesn’t do much to help them see themselves wearing their clothes.
- In their local shop, Kate and Anna can SEE who they are talking to: what they look like and what’s their style so they feel confident giving them product recommendations and helping them chose the best pieces for them.
On the website, they don’t have ANY IDEA who they are talking to. They don’t have any strategies to ASK people who come into who are they, what they like and what are they looking for, so they can be of better service.
- Their local store is located in a small town where everybody knows everybody, so Kate & Anna deal only with people who already know them.
When they are trying to attract customers from different areas, obviously, they attract people who have never heard of them. And since they don’t have ANY nurturing strategy, they don’t help people get to know them and feel more comfortable to buy from them.
Because of that, Kate & Anna also don’t know the people they are attracting: what they are like, what they need, if whether are aligned with their ideal client (and if their marketing is doing a good job).
- They spend $1,000+ a month on Facebook ads targeting people who don’t know them and send them right to their products.
In their local shop, they would never approach someone they’ve never seen before and start selling to them without even asking what they like. It just isn’t how they do things.
But unfortunately, this is exactly what they’ve been doing with their ads (without even realizing that!).
See, those are all problems that seriously hurt their business, but they are actually just symptoms…
The real problem is their brand experience being OFF.
And I’m not talking about their logo and colors, tho!
I’m talking about:
- no clarity of what their brand personality is and how to translate it into the brand experience, visuals, copywriting and marketing,
- no strategy on delivering on that brand experience,
- A lack of creative solutions on how to make their customers feel the same way they feel in-store.
I want you to understand ONE THING:
You’re NOT selling your products or services. You’re selling an experience.
Create an amazing experience that’s true to your brand, make people feel right and you WILL see your sales go up.
So, tell me: what do you struggle with YOUR business?
Leave a reply below and tell me!